Teen Reader's Choice Award
What is the CCRCE Teen Reader’s Choice Award?
Launched in 2012, students in grades 7-12 nominated their favourite book, read the top 10 most-nominated titles, and voted for what they considered to be the best book. Over 1000 votes were cast across the region and Suzanne Collins’ The Hunger Games was crowned the inaugural winner.
Since then, the Award shortlist has been selected by CCRCE Library Staff to engage students with current critically-acclaimed fiction titles published for young adults. The Top 5 Books are based on the best critical reviews, readers’ reviews, and the books’ performances on well-respected awards lists. These titles represent a wide range of genres and include some of the best fiction and non-fiction books published within the previous year.
Why have a Teen Reader’s Choice Award?
- To expose students to recent, high-quality teen fiction.
- To celebrate reading for pleasure and encourage teens to have conversations about books.
- To continue the success realized through the Hackmatack Children’s Choice Book Award, which targets students in grades 4-6.
When will the Teen Reader’s Choice Award happen this year?
- In February the Top 5 Chosen Book Titles are revealed.
Students can vote online from May 9th to May 13th
- The winning book will be announced May 17th, 2022
Where will the Teen Reader’s Choice Award take place?
In CCRCE school libraries that serve students in grades 7-12 and here online.
How do Teens Vote?
Visit the Teen Reader's Choice Award blog!