Optional French Programs
Core French is a compulsory course for all students in Nova Scotia from Grades 4 to 9, as per the Public School Program. Students develop their French oral, reading and writing skills by participating in a variety of French literacy-based learning opportunities for approximately 10% of their instruction.
In addition to the Core French Program, CCRCE also offers the following Optional French Programs for students who wish to spend more time learning in French:
- Early Immersion - Grade Primary Entry Point (approximately 80% of learning time in French)
- Middle Immersion - Grade 4 Entry Point (Celtic Family of Schools only) (approx. 70% of learning time in French)
- Late Immersion - Grade 7 Entry Point (approximately 70% of learning time in French)
- Integrated French - Grade 7 Entry Point (approximately 25-30% of learning time in French)
(Application Deadline for the 2022-2023 school year has closed)
- Early French Immersion: Truro Elementary School, Spring Street Academy, Elmsdale District School and A.G. Baillie Memorial School.
- Middle French Immersion: West Pictou Consolidated.
- Late French Immersion: Redcliff Middle School, Bible Hill Junior High (Grades 8 & 9), Cobequid Educational Centre (Grades 10-12)
- Integrated French Program: Dr. W. A. MacLeod Consolidated (Riverton), E.B. Chandler Junior High (Amherst), Redcliff Middle School (Bible Hill), Truro Junior High School (Truro), Central Colchester Junior High (Onslow), Riverside Education Centre (Milford), South Colchester Academy (Brookfield).
If you would like to learn more about Optional French Programs:
Programs Administrative Assistant
Regional French Immersion and Early Literacy Support Consultant P-6
902 324-9954 Cell
902 897-8951 Office
Regional French Consultant for 4-12 French Programs
(Core French 4-12 and 7-12 French Optional French Programs)
Office – Hants East Rural High
French Math Mentor
Base School – Bible Hill Junior High
Core French Literacy/Technology Integration Mentors Grades 4-12
Base School – Hants East Rural High School
Base School – E.B. Chandler Junior HIgh School
French Immersion Literacy Mentor P-6
Regional French Literacy P-6
Office – Truro Elementary School
902 956-8654 Cell
7-12 French Language Instructional Coach
(50% 7-12 French Literacy Mentor for the Integrated /Immersion Programs and 50% French Programs Inclusion Specialist)
For more information on one of our Optional French Programs, please select program level in the right menu.