Optional French Programs
Core French is a compulsory course for all students in Nova Scotia from Grades 4 to 9, as per the Public School Program. Students develop their French oral, reading and writing skills by participating in a variety of French literacy-based learning opportunities for approximately 10% of their instruction.
In addition to the Core French Program, CCRSB also offers the following Optional French Programs for students who wish to spend more time learning in French:
- Early Immersion - Grade Primary Entry Point (approximately 80% of learning time in French)
- Middle Immersion - Grade 4 Entry Point (Celtic Family of Schools only) (approx. 70% of learning time in French)
- Late Immersion - Grade 7 Entry Point (approximately. 70% of learning time in French)
- Integrated French - Grade 7 Entry Point (approximately 25-30% of learning time in French)
Where are Optional French Programs offered?
- Early French Immersion: Truro Elementary School, Spring Street Academy, Elmsdale District School and A.G. Baillie Memorial School.
- Middle French Immersion: A.G. Baillie Memorial School, and West Pictou Consolidated School.
- Late French Immersion: Redcliff Middle School.
- Integrated French Program: Dr. W. A. MacLeod Consolidated (Riverton), E.B. Chandler Junior High (Amherst), Springhill Junior/Senior High (Springhill), Redcliff Middle School (Bible Hill), Truro Junior High School (Truro), Central Colchester Junior High (Onslow), Riverside Education Centre (Milford), South Colchester Academy (Brookfield).
Early French Immersion – Information Sessions for Parents/Guardians
Early French Immersion is offered across CCRSB and has a Grade Primary entry. Eligible students must be starting Grade Primary in September 2018.
125 Curtis Drive, Truro
Tuesday January 9, 2018 at 6:00pm
Storm Date: January 10, 2018
A.G. Baillie Memorial
477 Victoria Ave., Ext New Glasgow
Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Storm Date: January 11, 2018
75 MacMillan Drive, Elmsdale
Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Storm Date: January 17, 2018
Spring Street Academy
59 Spring Street, Amherst
Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Storm Date: January 18, 2018
Middle French Immersion – Information Sessions for Parents/Guardians
Middle French Immersion is offered in the Celtic Family of Schools only (Pictou County), and has a Grade 4 entry.
West Pictou Consolidated
1959 Highway 376, Lyon’s Brook
Monday, January 8, 2018 at 6:00 pm
(Storm Date: January 9, 2018)
A.G. Baillie Memorial
477 Victoria Ave., Ext New Glasgow
Monday, January 15, 2018 at 6:00 pm
(Storm Date: January 16, 2018)
Late French Immersion - Information Session for Parents/Guardians (Grade 7 entry)
Registration begins January 2018. Deadline for applications is February 28, 2018
Redcliff Middle School
33 Sunset Lane, Valley
Monday, February 12, 2018 at 6:00 pm
(Storm date February 13)
Integrated French (Grade 7 entry) is offered at the following schools:
- Dr. W. A. MacLeod Consolidated (Riverton)
- E.B. Chandler Junior High (Amherst)
- Springhill Junior/Senior High (Springhill)
- Redcliff Middle School (Bible Hill)
- Truro Junior High School (Truro)
- Central Colchester Junior High (Onslow)
- Riverside Education Centre (Milford)
- South Colchester Academy (Brookfield)
The application time for all Optional French Programs is in the months of January and February each school year. At that time, you would apply to take an Optional French Program for the next school year, starting in September. Applications will be available online at that time; you will need the consent of a parent or guardian.
Once you have applied and been accepted to an Optional French Program you may remain in that program for the rest of your time in school.
If you would like to learn more about Optional French Programs you can call the French Language Programs Services Division at 902-897-8965.
Both Late Immersion and Integrated French begin in Grade 7 and can carry on through high school. The main difference between the programs is how much time you spend learning in French.
Students participating in Late French Immersion take all of their classes in French with the exception of English Language Arts, Physical Education, Music, Tech Ed and Family Studies, which are usually taught in English. Students participating in Integrated French spend about a quarter (25%) of their day learning in French through French Language Arts and French Social Studies. All other courses are taken in English.
Canadian Parents for French (CPF) is moving forward with the Provincial Concours d’art oratoire on May 6, 2017. CCRSB students interested in independently preparing and presenting their speech at the Provincial Concours should speak with their classroom teacher.
- Concours d'art oratoire categories - 2017
- Concours d'art oratoire reglements (rules) - 2017
- Formulaire d'evaluation - 2017
- School board information - 2017
- Student registration form - 2017
French Administrative Assistant
Regional French Programs Coordinator
Velma LeBlanc Dunn
Regional French Consultant
Cheryl Ann LeLièvre
Cheryl Ann will be the consultant responsible for all four Families of Schools this year, approximately 74 schools. Her role is to support principals, teachers, students and programs. This involves regional PD, site-based PD, student and teacher OPI interviews, classroom visits (announced and unannounced), parent meetings, information sessions, hiring, etc.
French Math Mentor
Base School – Riverside Education Centre
Core French Literacy/Technology Integration Mentors Grades 4-12:
Base School – Hants East Rural High
Base School – E.B. Chandler
Core French Literacy/Technology Integration mentors welcome the opportunity to provide on-site instructional support to French teachers, grades 4-12, in Core French, and Intensive French. Since French pull-out PD has been greatly reduced this year, the on-site support of literacy initiatives presented in past years will be a priority. This support will be provided following the CCRSB Mentor Program Framework, with emphasis being on the coaching aspect, with a limited number of substitute days available for collaboration and consulting. Requests for support may be teacher initiated or principal initiated (specific groups, ex: new teachers, whole staff etc.).
Early Literacy French Consultant P-3 and P-6 Immersion Literacy Mentor:
CCRSB Local 902-897-8900 or Toll Free 1-800-770-0008