NNEC hosts session about gender equality
North Nova Education Centre hosts session about gender equality: Ending violence against women
On October 20th, the Tearmann Society, a safe place for abused women and their children and CCRSB partnered to present Engaging Youth-Yes We Can! at North Nova Education Centre. The guest speaker for the presentation was Dr. Michael Kaufman, an educator and writer who focuses on engaging men and boys to promote gender equality and end violence against women.
During his presentation, Dr. Kaufman discussed the three secrets of good relationships:
- Relationships should be built on respect and honesty.
- Relationships are hard work.
- Violence and coercion destroy relationships.
He also discussed his four rules of consent with students:
- When it comes to sex only yes means yes.
- It’s your responsibility to know you have consent.
- Nothing you’ve already done gives you permission to do the next thing.
- If you’re drunk you can’t give consent.
At the end of the presentation students had the opportunity to engage in discussion and ask questions.
The event was hosted by North Nova Education Cenre and live streamed to Pictou Academy and Northumberland Regional High School.
Thanks Dr. Kaufman for sharing your expertise with CCRSB students!