Inclement Weather Procedures
Occasionally, weather conditions can impact school bus service and school operations – especially in the winter.
When it is stormy or road conditions are poor, Chignecto-Central Regional School Board Transportation Services staff starts the day before 6:00 a.m. by:
- Reviewing weather forecasts from different sources, for various areas within the four families of schools.
- Talking with the local Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal depots.
- Talking with bus drivers from various communities throughout the region.
- Driving on sections of roads.
Based on the forecast, actual weather and road conditions in each area, the school board has the following choices:
- Maintain bus and school operations as usual.
- Maintain bus services on paved roads only, or cancel bus services.
- Close schools.
As the school board region is large, separate cancellation and closure decisions are made for each of the four families of schools.
Cancelled Bus Services and School Closures
When it is stormy or road conditions are poor, make sure school is open and busses are running before you send your children to the bus stop or bring them to school.
The best way to find out if buses are cancelled or if schools are closed is to monitor the local radio or television stations and the school board website, Twitter feed and Facebook page. CCRSB makes every effort to contact local media by 6:30 a.m. to make the appropriate announcements, as well as to post the information to our website and social media pages.
Closure and cancellation notices are sent to:
- All local radio and television stations within CCRSB.
- CBC radio in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
- CFCY radio in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.
If there are cancellations within the school board, the green "schools open" link on our website will be changed to red and will read "schools closed". By clicking on this link you can access up-to-date information regarding closure and cancellation information.
If you are a Twitter or Facebook subscriber, we strongly encourage you to "Like" CCRSB's Facebook page and to follow CCRSB on Twitter (CCRSB_Official) so that you will be alerted to the latest updates.
We ask that parents, guardians and students avoid calling schools on storm days, whenever possible.
School Closures During the Day
CCRSB rarely cancels school mid-day due to weather or road conditions. However, there may be other factors, such as power outages, that may result in a school closing unexpectedly during the day.
In case school closes early, CCRSB recommends parents and guardians keep their contact information up-to-date with schools and have alternate arrangements in place for their children.
Should a mid-day closure occur, parents/guardians will be notified either directly (in the case of elementary schools), via local media, the school board website and social media.